Miriam Assessment Intervention Programs Videoconferencing Consultation Service
The Gold Centre and the Miriam Foundation understand the stress that our new reality is placing on individuals with neurodevelopmental disorders and their families and certainly appreciate that these challenging times are very disruptive for your family as you may not have access to your current resources.
Given the guidelines issued by the provincial government concerning social distancing and isolation during this Covid-19 crisis, we have launched a new on-line consultation service via videoconference, which is in keeping with government guidelines and best practices. Real-time videoconferencing between the Miriam clinicians and the caregivers participating in this project will approximate the same high-quality service as those offered in a face-to-face setting. Using videoconferencing, clinicians will be able to observe and direct parents and/or caregivers in addressing the interventions for behaviour and skill acquisition. The clinicians can guide parents in implementing Verbal Behaviour - Applied Behaviour Analysis (VB-ABA) and Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) techniques by providing instructions, modeling the new skill, observing the caregiver practicing the new skill, and offering feedback.
We would be happy to arrange for a one-hour videoconference session with your child and you and/or caregiver to help with the implementation of the Verbal Behaviour - Applied Behaviour Analysis (VB-ABA) or Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) techniques. Sessions include needs assessment, goal development and intervention planning, which are reviewed and updated at subsequent sessions.
The cost per session is $50. Thanks to the ongoing support of the Miriam Foundation, this is a 50% reduction on the service.
The caregivers will learn to increase new skills or how to modify behaviour by implementing procedures needed to manage behaviours and teach new skills to their children.
Responsibilities of Caregivers
- Caregivers will collect functional behaviour assessment data as required (for example, ABC, frequency and duration data).
- Caregivers will apply the appropriate strategies to increase appropriate/preventative behaviours and decrease inappropriate behaviours under the supervision of the Miriam clinician.
Summary of Service
- Weekly videoconferencing appointment times of 1-hour sessions will be scheduled. During these sessions the Miriam clinicians will assess the needs of the child and the family, develop recommendations for a treatment plan, coach the caregivers in implementing the recommended procedures, review the data, discuss findings and respond to questions. The clinicians can observe live observations of procedures implemented and provide the necessary feedback.
- Written information (treatment plans, data sheets, any communications between Miriam clinicians and caregivers etc.) can be emailed. Families can be asked to email data collection information on a regular basis.
- To take advantage of this service, you need a computer (laptop or desktop) and internet access.
- We are available during regular business hours beginning immediately.
Please email email@example.com or call 514.345.8330 x 319 to set up your first session.
This approach protects and supports you and your family during these challenging times. We look forward to hearing from you.